Monday, May 11, 2009

How Are You?

How do you usually react when you greet someone you haven't seen in a while and you get the inevitable question -- "How are you?"

Personally, I hate that question.

I tend to narrow my replies to one of two answers -- OK or good.
Good is the positive answer. It implies things are going well in general.
OK is the neutral or negative answer. It implies that things are either just average or not too hot right now.

I don't feel like a negative reply is an option because then most people will start asking more questions to find out details of why you're not "good." That just leads to awkwardness if you don't want to go into specifics, etc. etc............

They are incredibly vague replies, but honestly, when someone asks you that question they don't expect a lengthy, thoughtful answer, right?
Of course not!

But does that mean you have to lie?

If I've been sick, or depressed, or been having some shitty luck or whatever, I'm not going to SAY all that when they ask.

So why is that even a standard greeting?
I hate it!!

Anyway.................

I'm ok.


Here's some stuff to make you feel good..............









No comments: